This crochet cup sleeve pattern is worked up in an open bullion stitch. It’s a great pattern to use up leftover yarn while making something useful. Use up even the smallest amounts of yarn, because you can crochet this up in pretty stripes if you like.
The coffee sleeve is reusable, and makes for a nice gift idea for just about anyone on your gift-giving list.
I love the open stitch because it gives it a bit of a lacy design. And it’s still effective at protecting your hands from the hot.
Use your favorite worsted weight cotton to make this. I say cotton because it is better at shielding you from the heat. Plus, it holds better against excess stretch, whereas acrylic can become quite stretchy. With that said, you could easily sew in a cotton liner to keep your acrylics and other yarns in shape as well.
More Patterns Worked in the Bullion Stitch
Open Bullion Stitch Cup Sleeve
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 1.75 oz/50g; 80yds/73m) 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: H-5.0mm
- Other: Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 10 sts = 3".
- Finished Size: Fits the average take-out coffee cup.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Standing Bullion Stitch: Make a slip knot and place it on your hook. Then follow instructions for regular bullion stitch.
- Bullion St: YO 6 times, insert hk into designated st, yo and pull through (8 lps on hk), yo and pull through all lps on hk.
- This pattern is fastened off prior to each round with the bullion stitches. This way you can start the bullion stitch rounds with a standing stitch for a cleaner seam.
- Ch 28, or any multiple of 2. Join with sl st in first ch being careful not to twist chs.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, working into back bumps, sc in same ch as join and into each ch around; join with sl st in first sc. FO. [28 sts]
- Rnd 2: Work a standing bullion st in same st as joining sl st; ch 1, *sk next st, (bullion st, ch 1) in next st; rep from * around to last st; sk last st, join with sl st in first bullion st. [14 bullion sts]
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc into same st as join and into each st and ch-1 around; join with sl st in first sc. [28 sts] FO.
- Rnds 4-7: Rep rnds 2 & 3 two more times. FO.