Here is my first filet crochet pattern. It is for a heart, which you can use as a coaster or as an afghan square. As for the yarn to use for this pattern, I used a size 10 crochet thread, but any other yarn will work just as well.
Personally, I think this would look lovely in a cotton bedspread. I’m thinking of making pink and white hearts and then join them together with a red thread. Or, I could do red and white hearts and then join with pink…or black…not sure yet. Ahh if only I could slow down time while crocheting then maybe I’d get to crochet all the things I want to make.
A few notes on Filet Crochet:
= 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc (the open block at the beginning of each row is made with a ch 4 and dc).
= 3 dc
= 1 dc, (ch 1, dc) twice.
= 5 dc
Filet Heart Coaster/Square
- Yarn: Crochet Thread Size 10
- Crochet Hook: 7/1.65mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- 3.5 by 3.5 inches (After the edging, the width measures slightly more than the height. It is hardly noticeable if worked in crochet thread, but a thicker yarn will result in a greater difference making it somewhat rectangular.)
- Ch 26,
- Row 1: Dc in 6th ch from hook (skipped chs count as first dc and ch-1 sp), *ch 1, sk next ch, dc in next ch. Rep from * across. Turn. (12 dc and 11 ch-1 sps)
- Row 2: Ch 4 (counts as first dc and ch-1 now and throughout) (sk next ch, dc in next st, ch 1) 4 times, sk next ch, dc in next dc and next ch, dc in next dc, (ch 1, sk next ch, dc in next st) 5 times. Turn. (13 sts and 10 ch-1 sps)
- Rows 3-10: Continue to follow the pattern graph. Do not FO. Continue with Edging.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, working along the side work 2 sc stitches into each open sp all around with 4 sc in each corner sp. Join with sl st. Do not Turn. (84 sts)
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in first st, ch 2, sk next st, *sc in next st, ch 2, sk next st. Rep from * around. Join with sl st. FO.