Here is the clustered v-stitch crochet hat pattern in worsted weight yarn. It’s an open stitch pattern, which makes it ideal for cooler weather. However, if you’re in extreme temperatures you can wear it underneath a hood or line it to make it warmer.
The beanie hat pattern works up quick and easy for intermediate crocheters. It’s a pretty stitch pattern, which makes it a great gift idea for just about anyone on your list. Best of all, you can adjust the size as needed.
The Finished Size
The finished size is 18″ circumference by 10″ tall, perfect for small adults. But it can be adjusted as needed in a multiple of four. Use this Crochet Hat Size Chart by Age as a reference to make crochet beanies for your entire circle of family and friends.
The Yarn Used
I used Bernat Premium yarn, which is a soft, #4 worsted weight yarn. The yarn works well with a 5 mm crochet hook. And you only need one skein of yarn to complete this slightly slouchy hat.
Any other similar yarns can be substituted if you like.
How It’s Made
This clustered v-stitch hat is started at the brim, which is worked in ribbing rows until you get to the circumference that you need. You can adjust the brim for the width by starting off with more or less chains.
Join the brim and begin working in the round for the body. I worked one round of single crochet stitches followed by another round of back post single crochets to give you a bit of detail around the brim.
The body is worked with the clustered v-stitch. Each cluster is basically a double crochet 2 together. To make the v-stitch, work a cluster, chain 2, and another cluster in the same stitch or space.
The top is decreased over two rounds and then sewn shut.
Make a pom pom with your leftover yarn and attach it to the top if you like. How To Make a Pom Pom. Or, use a faux fur pom pom, ready-made from the store. Regardless of what you choose, this slouch will look great on anyone!
Clustered V-Stitch Crochet Hat – Worsted Weight
- Yarn: Bernat Premium (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Acrylic; 7oz/198g; 360yds/329m) Color: Coral Peach, 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: 5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 14 sc sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 18" circumference by 10" tall.
- Beg Cl = Beginning Cluster
- Blsc = Back Loop Single Crochet
- Bpsc = Back Post Single Crochet
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Cl = Cluster
- Lp/Lps = Loop/Loops
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd/Rnds = Round/Rounds
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sc2tog = Single Crochet 2 Stitches Together
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- Sp/Sps = Space/Spaces
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- YO = Yarn Over
- Crochet Abbreviations explained in more details.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Beg Cl: Ch 2, yo and insert hook into st/sp, yo and pull up a lp, [yo and pull through 2 lps] twice.
- Cl: [Yo and insert hook into st/sp, yo and pull up a lp, yo and pull through 2 lps] twice, (3 lps on hook) yo and pull through all 3 lps.
- Row 1: Ch 10, sc in 2nd ch from hook and into each ch across. Turn. [9 sc]
- Rows 2-64: Ch 1, blsc in first st and into each st across. Turn. [9 sts] Continue with this row until you have reached a desired circumference making sure the final row count is a multiple of 4.
- Ch 1 and join the ribbing rows by slip stitching the last row to the free loops of starting chains.
Working in the Round (Body of Hat)
- Rnd 1: This round is worked along the ribbing edge. Ch 1, sc into end of first ribbing row, and into each ribbing row around; join with sl st in first sc. [64 sts]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, bpsc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first bpsc.
- Rnd 3: (Beg cl, ch 2, cl) in same st as join, *skip next 3 sts, (cl, ch2, cl) in next st; rep from * around to last 3 sts, skip last 3 sts; join with sl st in first cl. [32 cl and 16 ch-2 sps]
- Rnd 4: Sl st into ch-2 sp, (beg cl, ch 2, cl) in same sp, (cl, ch 2, cl) in next ch-2 sp and into each ch-2 sp around; join with sl st in first cl. [32 cl and 16 ch-2 sps]
- Rnds 5-12: Rep Rnd 4.
- Rnd 13: Sl st into ch-2 sp, beg cl in same sp, cl in next ch-2 sp and into each ch-2 sp around; join with sl st in first cl. [16 cl]
- Rnd 14: Ch 1, [sc2tog over 2 cl] 8 times; join with sl st in sc2tog. Fasten Off leaving a 10" tail for closing the top. [8 sts]
- Weave tail end through last round and pull tight. Working on the wrong side, weave tail end in to secure. Attach an optional pom pom.