If you’re looking for something mindless to work on for the little ones, then look no further than this cotton crochet baby blanket. Cotton is a natural material, which makes it perfect and comfy for little babies.
The pattern is easy to adjust in size, which makes it easy to choose any yarn and hook size that you have on hand. Simply adjust your starting chains and make a preemie blanket or a full-sized afghan. It is shown in a single color, but it also looks great in stripes.
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch pattern is perfect for beginners. It is worked in single crochets and chain one spaces. The single crochets are worked into the front loop only of the previous single crochet, and all chains are skipped.
This not only creates a nice texture on the fabric, but it also makes for a nice drape.
And even though it’s worked with only chains and single crochets, I found that it worked up rather quickly. Thus, it makes for a nice last-minute baby shower gift.
The finished size is 30.5 inches square, making it great for babies. However, you can easily increase this in any multiple of two for your starting chains. Here is a Crochet Blanket Sizes Chart to help determine the size you need.
I used cotton yarn for this crochet blanket pattern. It’s natural and soft for babies who might suffer allergies to other types of material.
But any worsted weight yarn will work, including acrylics. Just make adjustments to the starting chains if the size does not come out the same.
Other Patterns to Try
- Seed Stitch Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Blossom Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Simply Stripes Baby Blanket
- Easy Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Broomstick Lace Crochet Baby Blanket with Ruffled Edge
Dandy Cotton Crochet Baby Blanket
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton Worsted Weight #4 – 100% Cotton – 1 400g / 14 oz, 650 meters / 710 yards ball.
- Crochet Hook: I/9-5.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: Approximately 5" over 22 sts and 2" over 6 rows.
- Finished Size; 30.5" by 30.5"
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Rep = Repeat
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sk = Skip
- Ch 130, or any multiple of 2.
- Row 1: Working into back bumps, (sc, ch 1) in 2nd ch from hook, *sk next ch, (sc, ch 1) in next ch; rep from * across. Note: Last ch-1 made counts as turning ch, now and throughout pattern. [65 sc]
- Row 2: Skipping all ch-1's and working into front loops only, (sc, ch 1) in first sc and into each sc across. [65 sc]
- Rows 3-86: Rep row 2.
- Rnd 1: Sc evenly around, working 3 sc in each corner. (I worked 86 sts along each side, with 3 sc in each corner.) Join with sl st in first sc.
- Rnds 2-3: Working into back loops only, ch 1, sc evenly around, working 3 sc into each corner. Fasten Off at last round.
And if you enjoyed this, you might also enjoy a visit to CPB for more free patterns for Crochet Baby Blankets.