This crochet cup cozy pattern makes for a nice gift idea for all the coffee lovers on your holiday gift-giving list. It works up quick and easy, and can be whipped up using leftover yarns.
Make one or two for yourself and keep them handy in your car or in your purse. That way you always have them handy when you’re at the coffee shop. And every time you use this coffee sleeve, it’s one less piece of paper that ends up in the trash can.
Not only does it save on paper, but this stitch pattern also makes it super easy for you to use up the smallest amounts of scraps. You could literally work each row a different color, or choose whatever color design your yarn stash dictates.
The free crochet pattern is given in one size, but it can be adjusted in a multiple of two for your starting chains. The finished size fits over a standard take-out cup, whether it be a small, medium or large size. It’s a bit loose, but after washing it shrinks nicely to fit the cup.
The Stitch Pattern
The coffee cozy is worked up in the the single crochet and cross stitch. The single crochet cross stitch pulls the fabric together, thus giving you a nice solid fabric to protect your against a hot cup of coffee.
It is an easy pattern for those who are comfortable making the single crochet stitch and are ready for their next challenge – the cross stitch.
Choose any worsted weight cotton yarn to make this cozy. Cotton is not only strong and durable, but it is solid, which helps to prevent against excess stretch. Another bonus of cotton is that it offers a better shield from heat than many other materials.
I used Bernat Handicrafter, a medium weight yarn perfect for projects like this.
You Might Also Enjoy These Cozy Crochet Patterns
- Esc Reusable Coffee Cup Sleeve
- HDC Cross Stitch DIY Coffee Cup Cozy
- Mesh Crochet Cup Sleeve
- Easy Popcorn Crochet Cup Cozy
- Swish-Swash Cup Cozy
Single Crochet and Cross Stitch Crochet Cup Cozy Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 1.75 oz/50g; 80yds/73m) 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: H 5.00mm
- Other: Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Fits the average takeout coffee cup. The above is shown on a medium size cup.
- Ch 30, or any multiple of 2; join with sl st in first ch being careful not to twist. [30 sts]
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, working into back bumps, sc in same ch as join and into each ch around; join with sl st in first sc. [30 sts]
- Rnd 2: Sl st into next st, ch 1, sc in same st, backtrack and sc in same st as join; *sk next st, sc in next st, backtrack and sc in skipped st; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc. [30 sts]
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc into same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first sc. [30 sts]
- Rnds 4-9: Rep Rows 2 and 3. Fasten off after the last round.