This easy playdough recipe is a safe and fun way to keep your kids entertained for hours! Not only will they enjoy making all kinds of cool things, but since it’s a no-cook playdough, they’ll also enjoy helping you to make this.
Why make your own playdough? Especially when you can go to the dollar store and purchase an array of fun colors for only a few bucks?!
The answer is quite simple, my little one always put everything into his mouth, including his playdough. On top of that, he started breaking out in terrible rashes all over his little hands every time he even touched the store-bought stuff.
So I had no choice but to start making my own with ingredients that were safe for him, even to put into his mouth. When I first made this, I left out the glycerin and essential oils, which made this a completely edible playdough. Thus, if you’re making this for the younger ones, you may wish to do the same.
But for the older ones, they’ll appreciate the glycerin because it helps to add a shine and stretch. It also helps to prevent it from drying out too fast, as does the oil.
If you’re making this for a girl, you could also add a bit of glitter. Or, for the holidays, you can find all sorts of fun holiday glitter that you could add.
I divided my dough into 5 parts so I could do five colors with one batch. You can divide this into as many parts as you like to create the colors that you want. It’s a lot of fun for them to experiment with mixing colors to create new colors. Hence another reason for DIY playdough. The only thing is to make sure the dough is cool enough for them before they help with the kneading process.
With that said, if you have a lot of kids to make this for, you can do a single color per batch. In that case you could add the food coloring to the pot to make it easier and save some time.
Easy Playdough Recipe
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 cups white, all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1 tbsp cream of tartar
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1/2 tsp glycerin Optional
- food coloring
- 1-2 drops essential oils Optional
- Add water to a medium sized pot and bring to a boil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt and cream of tartar.
- Once the water boils, remove from heat.
- Add the flour, salt, and cream of tartar mixture. Give it a quick stir.
- Next, add the coconut oil and glycerin. Stir until combined.
- Divide into five or more parts and transfer each part into a small plastic bag with a seal.
- Add your favorite food coloring and optional essential oils to each bag and seal the bag. Knead the food coloring in until evenly distributed.
His birthday is coming up, so the first thing he made is a cake with candles. :)
Leave a Reply