Whipped up in a bulky yarn, this crochet cowl scarf pattern works up super quick and easy. It’s a simple open stitch that is easy to adjust to any size you need from child to adult. Plus, you can wear it long like a scarf or wrap it around the neck for a cozy crochet cowl.
Because of the open stitch pattern you could also crochet this in a light and natural material for the hot summer months.
The Stitch Pattern
The stitches used in this cowl are single and double crochets along with chain spaces. The open stitch is created simply with a double crochet and a chain one space. The next row is then worked in single crochets.
The stitch pattern is a multiple of two, making it super easy to adjust in size as needed.
If you want something that works up super quick and is cozy to wear for the winter, then a chunky yarn is recommended. I used Loops and Threads Charisma, a bulky #5 yarn.
At the same time, choose your favorite yarn and hook size. Simply adjust your starting chains as needed for the size that you want.
If you’d like to make this for the summer, you could try a light cotton or a cotton blend to accessorize without adding too much bulk to your outfit.
Other Patterns to Try:
- Beginner Hooded Scarf Crochet Pattern
- Striped Hooded Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Charisma Chunky Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Chains and Ribs Crochet Chunky Cowl
- Any Size Scrap Crochet Cowl Pattern
Crochet Cowl Scarf Pattern
- Yarn: Loops and Threads Charisma (Bulky Weight (5) – 100% acrylic, 3.5oz) – 2 balls
- Crochet Hook: N-15/10MM
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 8sc sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 7.5" wide by 25" when laying flat.
- Rnd 1: Ch 100 (or any multiple of 2), join with sl st in first ch being careful not to twist. Working into back bumps, sc in same ch as join and into each ch around; join with sl st in first sc. [100 sts]
- Rnd 2: Ch 2 (does not count as st, now and throughout), (dc, ch 1) in same st as join, *sk next st, (dc, ch 1) in next st; repeat from * around, join with sl st in first dc. [50 ch-1 sps]
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st and ch around; join with sl st in first sc. [100 sts]
- Rnds 4-11: Repeat Rnds 2 and 3. Fasten off at last Rnd.