This popcorn headband pattern offers up a beautiful textured lace. It is worked in one piece from start to finish and ties at the back for a comfortable fit. It is great for all hair types and makes for a quick crocheted gift for someone on your list.
I used a brown, worsted weight yarn because that just goes with what’s in my closet. But it would look great in any colors, including a white for weddings, or in black to go with that fancy black dress that’s just waiting to be worn at your next dinner party.
The yarn is Red Heart Soft Touch, it has been discontinued, but any soft yarn like Red Heart Soft or Patons Canadiana can be used.
Although it’s an intermediate pattern, it’s not hard to make if you know how to make the popcorn stitch. As for the design, it starts with the band that fits over the head, then you make the edging and tie strings without fastening off.
- Yarn: Red Heart Soft Touch
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Tools: Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- The headband is modeled on an adult small head.
- See the Crochet Abbreviations chart for more details.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Popcorn Stitch: Work 5 dc in ch indicated, remove hook from loop, insert hook in first dc of 5 dc sts made, pick up the loop and pull through.
- This pattern is written in American Crochet Terms
- Ch 53, or any multiple of 5 plus 3.
- Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook and in next ch, *ch 3, sk next 3 chs, sc in next 2 chs, repeat from * to end of row. Turn.
- Row 2: Ch 2, dc in first 2 sts, *ch 1, sk next ch, work popcorn in next ch, ch 1, sk next ch, dc in next 2 sts, repeat from * to end of row. Turn.
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first 2 sts, *ch 3, sk next ch, sk popcorn st and next ch, sc in next 2 sts, repeat from * to end of row. Turn.
Edging and Strings
- Working on the Right Side, sl st into next st, *ch 1, 5 sc in first ch-3 sp and into each sp to end, sl st into next 2 sts and working your way around the corner, sl st into center of dc st. String: Ch 31, working into back bumps, sc into second ch from hook and into each ch to end, sl st into corresponding st along end,* working your way around the corner, sl st into next 2 sts. Repeat from * to * once, fasten off.