This narrow crochet headband pattern works up quick and easy, and makes for a nice stashbuster. lt makes for a great gift idea for just about anyone, from child to adult. And, best of all, it is perfect for any time of the year, regardless of the weather.
The headband ties at the back of the head for a comfortable fit. It is perfect for all types of hair and just about any outfit! Make one or make a whole bunch to go with your entire wardrobe. It is the perfect accessory to go with any dress or a plain pair of t-shirt and jeans. So you know you’ll get lots of use out of this.
Wear it plain as shown, or add your favorite embellishments as you like from pretty flower appliques to bows. Or, choose anything else that you or your little girl like to wear in your hair. It’s an easy project to customize in any way you like.
Another use for this free pattern is to make it long enough to wear as a fun belt.
The finished size for this crochet headband is about 1 inch wide by 44 inches long, but that can be adjusted as needed for any head size.
The width is perfect for everyone and all sizes from baby headbands to adult sizes. However, if you prefer a wider band, you can always increase that simply by doing more repeats of the pattern rows.
As for the length, simply adjust your starting chains in any multiple of two.
If you plan on making this for a baby, you may want to make it the exact size to fit around the baby’s head, and then sew the ends together. This way you don’t have to tie a knot at the back of the baby’s head, which could be uncomfortable and even painful for a small baby.
Because this simple crochet headband pattern is so easy to adjust in size, you could basically use any yarn and hook size that you like. However, I love the Cotton Fair by Premier Yarns because it gives you a good amount of stretch. And stretch is always ideal for a comfortable headband. The yarn is a fine yarn, which allows for a nice texture while keeping the band nice and narrow.
Any stretchy yarn that works well with a 3.5 mm crochet hook can be used to obtain a similar look as shown.
The headband crochet pattern is worked in a few simple rows using the single crochet and the bead stitch. For this band I worked two rows of single crochets, followed by a row in the bead stitch. Then to finish, I worked another two rows of single crochets.
I did not add an edging, but you can always work a simple round of single crochets if you like.
Bead Stitch Narrow Crochet Headband Pattern
- Yarn: Cotton Fair by Premier Yarns (Fine, #2; 52% Cotton, 48% Acrylic; 317yds/290m; 3.5oz./100g) Color: Lavender, 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: 3.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 18 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 1" wide by 44" long, without an edging.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Bead St: Insert hk into indicated st, yo and pull through, (yo and pull through one lp on hk) twice, yo and pull through both lps on hk. When working the next stitch make sure the bobble is facing the right side.
- Loosely Ch 200, or any multiple of 2.
- Row 1 (RS): Working into back bumps, sc in 2nd ch from hk and into each ch across. Turn. [199 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first st and into each st across. Turn. [199 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first st, *bead st in next st, sc in next st; rep from * across. Turn. [199 sts]
- Rows 4-5: Rep Row 2. Fasten off after the last row, or continue with an edging.
- With RS facing, ch 1, sc in first st and into each st around, working 3 sc into each corner. Join with a slip stitch in first sc.