This crochet headband pattern is given in one size only. But it ties at the back for a custom fit making it great for children and adults. It’s perfect for anyone with short or long hair.
I’ve been working on cleaning up my yarn stash and found one ball of Patons Silk Bamboo yarn. It was just enough to make the band as shown, without an edging. Personally I think it’s fine without one, but I’ve included instructions if you want to do one.
The headband is shown on a small head and tied back with one knot.
The Stitch Pattern
It’s a very simple pattern which consists of the single crochet, double crochet and the slanted cluster, also known as the bead stitch.
The slanted cluster is basically a puff stitch worked around the base of a double crochet. It is slightly different because it puff slants sideways and the stitch is also closed a bit different. But the “puffy” look is very similar.
Also, note that in the slanted cluster row I have added an extra stitch. Then for the next row I did a decrease at the end of the row to keep the stitch counts even.
The pattern is worked in long rows to make a long rectangle.
The finished size is 42 by 2.25 inches without an edging. The stitch multiple for the length is a multiple of two for the starting chains. The length is easy to adjust, but the width is a set number of rows.
Patons Silk Bamboo is shiny as well as strong, but anything similar will work.
I would recommend to stick with a DK (#3) yarn to maintain the width that it is at. With that said, if you prefer a wider band use a thicker yarn, and vice versa.
Other Patterns to Try
- Striped Crochet Headband Pattern
- Crochet Headband Pattern
- Chained Puffs Headband
- Slanted Puffs Summer Headband
- Summer Lattice Crochet Baby Headband Pattern
Slanted Cluster Crochet Headband Pattern
- Yarn: Patons Silk Bamboo (Light, #3; 70% Viscose from Bamboo, 30% Silk; 93m/102yds; 65g/2.2oz) Color: Ivory, 1 ball (2 balls if you choose to add an edging.)
- Crochet Hook: 4mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 17 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 42" by 2.25".
Special Stitch Instructions:
- Slanted Cluster (sl cl): [Yo, going in from right to left insert hk around base of last dc made, yo and pull through] 3 times. (7 lps on hk), yo and pull through 6 lps, (2 lps left), yo and pull through the last 2 lps.
- One extra stitch is made in the row with the slanted clusters. To keep things even, I worked a decrease stitch at the end of the next row over the last double crochet and the top of the third chain.
- Row 1: Loosely ch 180 (or any multiple of 2), sc in 2nd ch from hk and into each ch across. Turn. [179 sts]
- Row 2 (RS): Ch 2 (does not count as st), dc in first st and into each st across. Turn. [179 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first st and into each st across. Turn. [179 sts]
- Row 4: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in next st, sl cl, *sk next st, dc in next st, sl cl; rep from * across to last st, dc in last st. Turn. [89 sl cl sts]
- Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first st and into each st across to last 2 sts, sc2tog over last 2 sts (dc and top of ch-3). Turn. [179 sts]
- Rows 6-7: Rep Rows 2 and 3.
- Rnds 1-2: With RS facing, ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner; join with a slip stitch in first sc. Fasten Off.