Use this 3 inch chain stitch crochet afghan square pattern to use up your tiniest amounts of scrap yarn. A few ideas would be a scarf, a doll blanket, or even a full-sized afghan if you have a lot of scraps to work with.
As is, this little square is perfect to go with a flat-braid join. But if you wanted to use a join with more solid stitches you could easily add a single crochet border to this square.
It is not your traditional square, but, you could match this up with other solid granny squares for a beautiful design and colorwork!
This 3 inch granny square pattern is perfect for beginners who are comfortable with making color changes. The only stitch you need to know is the single crochet and chain stitches.
I used Vanna’s Choice yarn, which is a medium worsted weight yarn, but any similar yarn will work just as well. The only thing is to try and stick with the same yarn throughout your project.
Other Crochet Afghan Squares to Try
- 3.5 Inch Popcorn Crochet Flower Afghan Square
- Buds-a-Blooming 12 inch Afghan Square Crochet Pattern
- Lacy 12″ Popcorn Stitch Afghan Square
- 6″ Simple Crochet Square for a Blanket or Other Projects
- Mini Afghan Square
3 Inch Chain Stitch Crochet Afghan Square
- Yarn: Vanna's Choice (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% acrylic; 3.5oz/100g; 170 yds/156 m) Small amount of two colors
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- CA = Orange
- CB = Red
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- FO = Fasten Off
- Lp/Lps = Loops/Loops
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- Rnd 1: With CA, make a magic circle, ch 1, work 8 sc into magic circle; join with sl st in first sc. FO. [8 sts]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, (sc, ch 3) in first st and into each st around; join with sl st in first sc. FO [8 ch-3 sps]
- Rnd 3: Join CB with a stsc in first ch-3 sp, ch 3, (sc, ch 3) in next sp and into each sp around; join with sl st in first sc. [8 ch-3 sps]
- Rnd 4: Sl st into first ch-3 sp, ch 1, (sc, ch 3) twice in the same sp, (sc, ch 3) in next sp, *(sc, ch 3) twice in next sp, (sc, ch 3) in next sp; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc. FO. [12 ch-3 sps]