This crochet flower afghan square is worked up in the popcorn stitch to resemble flower petals in the middle. It’s a great square for doll blankets, bags and anything else you like.
One thing I love about this square is that you can use the smallest amounts of scraps in your yarn stash. Plus, it’s fastened off after each round, making it super easy to work on a bunch of partially completed squares.
The color options are endless because you can mix and match the colors so that each square is unique. If you’re not using this as a stashbuster, you have the option to make them all the same to match your home decor.
It measures approximately 3.5 inches across. For a 3″ square, omit the last round. And for a 4″ square, add another round of single crochets. How cool is that?? Below is my original version in Patons Canadiana, which was worked up in only three rounds and measured about 3″.
3.5 Inch Popcorn Crochet Flower Afghan Square
- Yarn: Vanna's Choice (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% acrylic; 3.5oz/100g; 170 yds/156 m) Small amount of three colors
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- CA = Color A for Center
- CB = Color B for Popcorns
- CC = Color C for Edge
- Beg Pc = Beginning Popcorn
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Dc = Double Crochet
- FO = Fasten Off
- Lp/Lps = Loops/Loops
- Pc = Popcorn
- Rep = Repeat
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sk = Skip
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- Sp/Sps = Space/Spaces
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- Stdc = Standing Double Crochet
Special Stitch Instructions
- Beg Pc: Work another 4 dc in same st, remove hook from lp and insert into first dc (stdc), pick up the lp and pull through.
- Pc: 5 dc in st indicated, remove hook from lp and insert into first of the 5 dc, pick up the lp and pull through.
- Rnd 1: With CA, make a magic circle, ch 1, work 8 sc into the magic circle; join with sl st in first sc. FO. [8 sts]
- Rnd 2: Join CB with a stdc in same st as join; work beg pc in same st, ch 3, (pc, ch 3) in next st and into each st around; join with sl st in beg pc. FO. [8 pc sts and 8 ch-3 sps]
- Rnd 3: Join CC with a stdc in first ch-3 sp, work another 6 dc in same sp, *sk pc, 2 dc in next sp, sk pc, 7 dc in next sp; rep from * 2 times; sk next pc, 2 dc in next sp; join with sl st in first dc. [36 sts]
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in same st as join; sc in next 2 sts, *3 sc in next st, sc in next 8 sts; rep from * 2 times; 3 sc in next st, sc in each remaining st; join with sl st in first sc. FO. [44 sts]