This crochet flower afghan square is worked up in the popcorn stitch to resemble flower petals in the middle. It’s a simple, yet beautiful flower pattern.
The texture and floral design is perfect for summer bags, pillows and floor mats. And if you have a daughter, this would also make for the perfect square to use in a doll blanket. Another option for this beautiful motif is to join them into an ear warmer or headband to keep your ears nice and cozy in the cold weather.
One thing I love about this crochet popcorn flower square is that you can use the smallest amounts of scraps in your yarn stash. Plus, it’s fastened off after each round, making it super easy to work on a bunch of partially completed squares.
The color options are endless because you can mix and match the colors so that each square is unique. On the other hand, you can also make them all the same to match your home decor.
The finished size measures approximately 3.5 inches across. For a 3″ square, omit the last round. And for a 4″ square, add another round of single crochets. How cool is that?? Below is my original version in Patons Canadiana, which was worked up in only three rounds and measured about 3″.
See More Crochet Afghan Squares
- Tiny Crochet Square
- Quick Granny Square
- Lacy Flower Afghan Square
- 6.5″ Crochet Afghan Square
- 3.75-Inch Raised Center Easy Crochet Afghan Square
3.5 Inch Popcorn Crochet Flower Afghan Square
- Yarn: Vanna's Choice (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% acrylic; 3.5oz/100g; 170 yds/156 m) Small amount of three colors
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- CA = Color A for Center
- CB = Color B for Popcorns
- CC = Color C for Edge
- Beg Pc = Beginning Popcorn
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Dc = Double Crochet
- FO = Fasten Off
- Lp/Lps = Loops/Loops
- Pc = Popcorn
- Rep = Repeat
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sk = Skip
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- Sp/Sps = Space/Spaces
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- Stdc = Standing Double Crochet
Special Stitch Instructions
- Beg Pc: Work another 4 dc in same st, remove hook from lp and insert into first dc (stdc), pick up the lp and pull through.
- Pc: 5 dc in st indicated, remove hook from lp and insert into first of the 5 dc, pick up the lp and pull through.
- Rnd 1: With CA, make a magic circle, ch 1, work 8 sc into the magic circle; join with sl st in first sc. FO. [8 sts]
- Rnd 2: Join CB with a stdc in same st as join; work beg pc in same st, ch 3, (pc, ch 3) in next st and into each st around; join with sl st in beg pc. FO. [8 pc sts and 8 ch-3 sps]
- Rnd 3: Join CC with a stdc in first ch-3 sp, work another 6 dc in same sp, *sk pc, 2 dc in next sp, sk pc, 7 dc in next sp; rep from * 2 times; sk next pc, 2 dc in next sp; join with sl st in first dc. [36 sts]
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in same st as join; sc in next 2 sts, *3 sc in next st, sc in next 8 sts; rep from * 2 times; 3 sc in next st, sc in each remaining st; join with sl st in first sc. FO. [44 sts]