Easy Crochet Slouchy Hat with Beaded Stripes
This easy crochet slouchy hat pattern features rounds of small bobbles to give you lots of textures. It’s stylish and perfect to go with just about any winter outfit! It is a great gift idea for all your friends and family members.
This crochet slouch hat pattern is perfect for cleaning up all kinds of odds and ends in your yarn stash. You can add as many colors as you like to make this your own stashbuster design.
It’s the perfect match to the beaded stripes earwarmer. If you’d like to crochet a cowl to match, simply follow the instructions for the ear warmer, but start off with at least around 80 chains. For a double wrap around the neck I would start with at 150 or more.
The Stitch Pattern
This easy crochet slouchy beanie is started at the bottom and worked to the top. The ribbing rows are made simply by crocheting into the back loops of the previous row. Once you have the circumference that you need, simply join the rows and begin working in the round.
The rounds are worked in a pretty striped design with single crochets and the bead stitch.
The bead stitch is simply an extension of the single crochet in the sense that when you get to the last step where you wrap the yarn over and pull through, you only pull through one loop to make a chain. You do that two times to make two chains before closing the stitch as normal. This creates a small bobble on the right side of the fabric.
The top is decreased and then sewn together. You can add a pom pom or leave it as is. How To Make a Pom Pom
When laid flat, the hat measures 9″ across by 9″ high. It is designed to fit a teen or small adult size. However, you can crochet this to any size by increasing the ribbing rows in multiples of two. Here is a Crochet Hat Size Chart by Age to help you out.
For this crochet striped hat I chose Patons Canadiana yarn. It is a soft, medium worsted weight yarn that works well with a 5.5 mm hook. And, because it’s so soft, it is perfect for making hats.
Other Crochet Hat Patterns
- Quick Crochet Beanie with Single Crochets
- Simple Slouch Hat Crochet Pattern
- Easy Crochet Hat Pattern
- Solid Shell Stitch Crochet Hat
- Ponytail Hat Crochet Pattern
Easy Crochet Slouchy Hat with Beaded Stripes
- Yarn: Patons Canadianna Worsted Weight #4 in 3 colors.
- Crochet Hook: I/9-5.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 2" over 7 sts.
- Finished Size: 9" across by 9" high.
- CA = Color A – Purple
- CB = Color B – Green
- CC = Color C – Blue
- Bead St. = Bead Stitch
- Blsc = Back Loop Single Crochet
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Hk = Hook
- Lp/Lps = Loop/Loops
- Rep = Repeat
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sc2tog = Single Crochet 2 Together
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- YO = Yarn Over
- Crochet Abbreviations explained in more details.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Bead St: Insert hk into indicated st, yo and pull through, (yo and pull through one lp on hk) twice, yo and pull through both lps on hk. When you work into the next stitch make sure the bobble is facing the right side.
- Bead Stitch
- Carry yarn up at each round to avoid unnecessary loose ends.
- Row 1: Ch 10, sc in 2nd ch from hk and in next 8 chs. Turn. (9 sc)
- Rows 2-60: Ch 1, blsc in each st across. Turn. (9 sts) Continue with this row until you have reached a desired circumference making sure to end in an even number of rows.
- Ch 1 and join the ribbing rows by slip stitching the last row to the free loops of starting chs. You might have your own way of doing it, but I like to join the front lps of last row worked to the free loops of starting chs.
Working in the Round
- Rnd 1: Working into the ends of the rows, ch 1, sc in first row and into each row around; With CB, join with sl st in first sc. (60 sts)
- Rnd 2: With CB, ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st around; with CC, join with sl st in first sc. (60 sts)
- Rnd 3: With CC, Ch 1, work bead st in same st as join, sc in next st, *bead st in next st, sc in next st; rep from * around; With CB, join with sl st to first bead st. (60 sts)
- Rnd 4: With CB, Ch 1, sc in same st as join and in each st around; With CA, join with sl st to first sc.
- Rnd 5: With CA, Ch 1, sc in same st as join and in each st around; With CB, join with sl st to first sc.
- Rnds 6-27: Rep rnds 2-5 ending with rnd 3 at rnd 27.
- Rnd 28: With CB, Ch 1, sc2tog around; With CA, join with sl st in first sc2tog. (30 sts)
- Rnd 29: With CA, Ch 1, sc2tog around; join with sl st in first sc2tog. (15 sts) Fasten Off leaving a 8-10" tail for closing of hat.
- Weave the tail end through last rnd. Pull tight and secure.