This crochet asymmetrical shawl is started at one point and increased in each row until you have the desired size. It is a simple and mindless pattern that you can work on while watching TV or while listening to music. Although simple, it’s nice enough for just about any occasion from weddings to funerals and every event in between.
One thing about an asymmetrical shawl is that it can be worn a million different ways. The middle point can be worn at the back, the sides or even at the front! If wearing it at the front, I’d recommend a shorter version, but with the right outfit you could probably get away with any length.
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch pattern is super simple with rows of single crochets, double crochets and crossed double crochets. Increases are made along one edge to give you an asymmetrical shape.
The pattern is worked in rows, making it super simple to crochet this to any size that you want.
About The Yarn
For this design I chose a cotton yarn called Nurture by Euro Baby. I get mine here at Yarn Candy Bargains. The yarn is a DK weight (#3), 100% cotton yarn. It’s a soft yarn and perfect for wearables, such as this shawl.
The great thing about using a cotton is that you can block it to really bring out the stitch pattern.
With that said, any acrylic yarn or even wool will do. Just make sure to adjust the hook size to match the yarn if you switch to a different weight.
Other Patterns to Try
How to Get Your Pattern
Scroll down to get the free pattern. You can work directory off this page, or copy and past it into your favorite word processor.
You also have the option to purchase it in this summer crochet pattern collection along with 20 other patterns suitable for the summer. This collection contains some of my top patterns ideal for the warm season, but can be worn or used throughout the year.
Or, if you prefer just to get this shawl pattern, you can do so below at either Etsy or Ravelry. This way you get a clean copy of the pattern and you only pay for the pattern you want.
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Double Crochet and Cross Stitch Crochet Asymmetrical Shawl
- Yarn: Nurture by Euro Baby (100% Cotton Yarn (DK #3) 3.52oz/100g – 219yds/200m – 5 skeins
- Crochet Hook: H 5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge (before blocking): 12 sts = 4".
- Gauge (after blocking): 11 sts = 4".
- Finished Size (after blocking): 70" by 50" along the two straight edges and 86" along the diagonal edge.
- This shawl is increased along one edge by one stitch in each row.
- On the double crochet and cross stitch rows, the increases are made at the beginning of the row by counting the chain-3 as your first stitch and then working another double crochet into the first stitch.
- On the single crochet rows, the increases are made at the end of the row by working 2 single crochets into the top of the beginning chain-3 made in the previous row.
- One of my testers suggested placing a stitch marker on the side where increases are made.
- Keep your beginning chain 3's loose enough to accommodate the diagonal stretch.
- This shawl is quite large, but you can stop anytime you have reached your desired size.
- Row 1: Ch 2, 3 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Turn. [3 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc, now and throughout), dc once more in first st, dc in next 2 sts. Turn. [4 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc into first st and into next 2 sts, 2 sc in last st (top of ch-3). Turn. [5 sts]
- Row 4: Ch 3, dc once more in first st, *sk next st, dc in next st, backtrack and dc in skipped st, dc in last 2 sts. Turn. [6 sts]
- Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first st and into each st across to last st, 2 sc in last st (top of ch-3). Turn. [7 sts]
- Row 6: Ch 3, dc once more in first st, dc in next st and into each st across. Turn. [8 sts]
- Row 7: Ch 1, sc into first st and into each st across to last st, 2 sc in last st (top of ch-3). Turn. [9 sts]
- Row 8: Ch 3, dc once more in first st, *sk next st, dc in next st, backtrack and dc in skipped st; rep from * across to last 2 sts; dc in last 2 sts. Turn. [10 sts]
- Rows 9-139: Rep Rows 5-8 until you have reached a desired size. [141 sts]
- Edging: With Right Side facing, ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner.