This is a quick and easy crochet teething toy that you can make for your babies or for giving at baby showers. Babies love to chew on things when they are teething, and when they don’t have a teething toy, they will find something else to chew on. So why not whip up a few in different colors so you always have a clean one on hand.
Choose a cotton yarn with steadfast colors so they don’t bleed into the babies mouth. You want a yarn that washes well and also holds up to a lot of chewing. I used Bernat Handicrafter, but many similar yarns are available that would work just as well.
It is crocheted with only two rounds around a teething ring and then has a cute little star attached in a loop.
I used a wooden ring, any plastic ring will do. The rings can be purchased on Etsy. As for the star, it was available on Etsy as well, but any similar teething toy should work. Or, it doesn’t have to be a teething toy; it could be anything else that baby loves to play with.
Wash in warm water using a mild soap after each use. Hang in a well ventilated area to encourage quick drying. I have stuck these in front of a fan just so they don’t get icky.
Other Patterns to Try
- A Ray of Sunshine Teething Toy
- Baby Teething Lovey
- My First Lovey
- My First Booties
- Easy Hooded Towel for Toddler
Crochet Teething Toy – Ring with Star
- Intermediate (Worsted Weight (#4) – 100% Cotton – 1.75 oz / 50g – 80yds / 73 m – 1 ball)
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: A 2 2/8" Wooden Teething Ring, Silicone Teething Star, or any similar toy, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Rep = Repeat
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sk = Skip
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- Rnd 1: Join yarn to teething ring with a standing sc; work another 39 sc around ring. Join with sl st in first sc. [40 sc]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, *ch 2, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sk next st**, sc in next st; rep from * around ending last rep at **. Join with sl st in first sc. [20 picots]
- Ch 15. Cut the yarn leaving a 10" tail. Remove hook from last loop and slide star onto the chs made. Join with a sl st in corresponding st on teething ring. Fasten Off, weave in ends.