How to Crochet Around a CD
This is a short tutorial on how to crochet around an old CD. It’s a great way to recycle them into either something useful and/or into a decorative item.
You could make nice doily centerpieces for your potpourri dishes, candles, picture frames or anything of that sort. They might also look good in wall hangings and mobiles. The shiny reflection coming from the CD might be exactly what you need to keep your little ones happy and entertained. The only thing is that CDs can be sharp, so please keep them out of reach from your little ones.
For my first project, I made a toilet tissue cover.
After I made my initial row around the CD I continued to work in an even pattern. But, if you wanted to create a nice centerpiece, then you’d continue to increase in each round in order to keep it flat.
For this tutorial I used a worsted weight yarn, however, any yarn or crochet thread will work. The thinner the yarn, the more stitches you can work around the CD.
Other Crafts to Enjoy
- Sturdy Watermelon Pom Pom Rug
- Cardboard Crochet Pencil Holder
- O-ring Bracelet
- How To Make Plarn, (Plastic Yarn)
- ESC Pencil Organizer Cozy
How to Crochet Around a CD
- 1.) Start off with a slip knot on your hook. Hold the ball end of the yarn at the back of the CD with the shiny side facing you.
- 2.) Bring the working yarn through the center hole, from back to front.
- 3.) Place the working yarn on your hook.
- 4.) Pull the yarn through the loop on hook, making sure the stitch sits snug on the edge of the CD.
- 5.) Chain 2, or as many as you like. I found that you have to make at least 2 in order to keep the center from bunching up. If using a crochet thread you could chain up to 10 or more if you wanted to go for something super lacy.
- Repeat Steps 2-5. Continue bringing the yarn through the hole and pulling it through the loop on the hook. Chain as many as you like and continue with the pattern. It can be a bit of a nuisance to bring the yarn through the center hole, but it does get easier with practice.
- Once you have crocheted around the cd, join it with a slip stitch in the slip knot.
- Here the first round is completed and joined.
- For the next round you can work into one or all the chains that you made depending on your design. In this demonstration I crocheted into the back loops only of the center chain.
Great idea, will try this as ornaments or part of a shiny bag with some black thread!
Oh I think it would look beautiful with black thread… will have to try that one myself one day. thanks for the idea :)
This is so cool!! I love it! Thank you very much for posting and providing these photos! :)
Crochet…Gotta Love It! Blog:
Thanks! I’m glad you enjoyed it. :)
I am really so anxious to try making these. Need something to occupy my time
Like your idea wish you would of showed your finished project and rest of directions or even also a short video nice idea