This crocheted toilet paper cover came about one day when I was about to throw out some old CD’s. As I started thinking about how to recycle them into something useful I realized they were about the same size as a double roll of toilet paper. So I fiddled around a bit and this is what I came up with. It does the trick quite nicely and looks great in my bathroom on top of the toilet tank.
The toilet paper roll cover is started by crocheting around the CD. Since it’s not everyday that I crochet around CD’s I found it to be a bit tricky at first. I found it to be a nuisance to bring the yarn through the hole, but after the first CD it got significantly easier. I created a separate page showing step by step on how to do the CD: Crochet Around a CD.
Once the CD is done, you continue to work in an even pattern until done. The flower is made separate and attached to the strands of yarn wrapped around the CD. This is designed to fit over one tissue roll to always have an extra roll of paper on hand. If you plan on staking your rolls you’d only need to make a flower for the top cover.
I used a cotton yarn for this, but an acrylic yarn could work just as well.
You Might Also Enjoy These
- Puff Stitch Hand Soap Cozy
- Puffy Soap Saver Crochet Pattern
- Elongated Shell Toilet Seat Cover
- Shell Toilet Seat Cover
- Triple Easy Bath Pouf
CD Double Roll Crocheted Toilet Paper Cover
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (#4 medium weight yarn)
- Hook Sizes: H/8-5.00mm & G/6-4.25mm
- Other: Old CD, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 2" over 3 ch-2 sps and 6 rows.
- Finished Size: 2" over 3 ch-2 sps and 6 rows.
- Bl/bls = Back Loop/Back Loops
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- FO = Fasten Off
- Fpsc = Front Post Single Crochet
- Hdc = Half Double Crochet
- Hk = Hook
- Lp/Lps = Loop/Loops
- Puff St = Puff Stitch
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd/Rnds = Round/Rounds
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sk = Skip
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- Sp/Sps = Space/Spaces
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- YO = Yarn Over
- Crochet Abbreviations explained in more details.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Puff St: Ch 2, (Yo, insert hk in sp indicated, yo and pull through) 2 times, 5 lps on hook, yo and pull through all 5 lps, ch 1.
Crocheting Around CD:
- Start off with a slip knot on your 5 mm hook. Hold the ball end of the yarn at the back of the CD with the shiny side facing you. Bring the yarn through the center hole, from back to front, and place it on the hook. Pull the yarn through the slip knot.
- [Ch 2, bring the ball end of the yarn through the hole and place on hook, pull the yarn through the loop on hook] 23 times; ch 2; join with sl st to slip knot. (24 ch-2 sps)
Crocheting the Sides
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, sk first ch, sc into bl of next ch, *ch 2, sk next 2 chs, sc in bl of next ch; rep from * around; hdc into first sc to form joining ch-2 sp. (24 ch-2 sps)
- Rnds 2-13: Ch 1, sc in first ch-2 sp (same sp as where the join was made), *ch 2, sc in next ch-2 sp; rep from * around; hdc into first sc to form joining ch-2 sp. (24 ch-2 sps)
- Rnd 14: Work puff st into first sp, *sl st into next sp, work puff st into same sp; rep from * around; join with sl st to first ch that was made in first puff st. FO. (24 puff sts)
- The puff stitches will flare at the bottom and should sit nicely on the counter.
- With 5 mm hook, ch 3; join with sl st in first ch to form circle.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, [sc, ch 2] 6 times into circle; join with sl st to first sc. (6 ch-2 sps)
- Rnd 2: [Sl st, work puff st] into first ch-2 sp and into each ch-2 sp around; join with sl st in first sl st. Turn.
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, fpsc around sc made in rnd 1, *ch 3, fpsc around next sc of rnd 1; rep from * around; ch 3; join with sl st to first fpsc. (6 lps) Turn.
- Rnd 4: *Sl st into ch-3 lp, (work puff st, sl st, puff st) into same lp; rep from * around; join with sl st to first sl st. (12 puff sts) Turn.
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, fpsc around first fpsc of rnd 3, *ch 4, fpsc around next fpsc of rnd 3; rep from * around; ch 4; join with sl st to first fpsc. (6 lps) Turn.
- Rnd 6: (Sl st, puff st) 3 times into first ch-4 lp and into each lp around; join with sl st to first sl st. (18 puff sts) FO.
- Rnd 1: With G/6-4.25mm hk, Ch 2, work 4 sc into 2nd ch from hk.
- Rnd 2: Encasing the first 4 sts, work another 4 sc into the 2nd ch from hk making sure to mark first st. Sl st into first st of rnd 2. FO leaving a long tail for sewing.
- Weave the tail end through the sts made in last round. Pull the tail tight and sew button into the center of the flower.
- Attach flower to top of toilet roll cover. String the tail end onto a yarn needle and slide the needle under all the lps on the shiny side of the CD. Pull the string around the center and secure the flower.