This crochet mat is super soft and features a beautifully textured fabric that you’ll enjoy having in your home. I made mine in a small size, but in a simple multiple you can easily increase this to any size you need.
The yarn used for this is Bernat Blanket, I had some left over from another project and figured this would be a good way to use it up. Any other super bulky yarn should work just as well. I love the softness of the thick yarn, and combined with the crunch stitch you get an even more squishier mat.
It’ll definitely be great beside the bed if you have hardwood floors. The only thing is it might be a bit slippery, so you may want to line the back with an anti-slip backing. You can usually get that at most dollar stores. And speaking of lining it, you could also line it with a cotton (an old towel maybe?) and along with an anti-slip backing, it might be awesome for the the bathroom as well!
I ended up needing only one ball, however, you may beed two because mine came really close to being used up. Plus, I ended up ripping the yarn out a few times because my tension kept increasing… and that tends to stretch the yarn.
The solid color looks great, but the rows are short, making it a great project to use up all kinds of leftovers.
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Super Bulky Crunch Stitch Crochet Mat
- Yarn: Bernat Blanket (Super Bulky, #6; 100% Polyester; 10.5oz/300g; 220yds/201m) Color: Country Blue, 1 ball. Mine came close to being used up, so you may need two.
- Crochet Hooks: 10.00mm, 12.00mm
- Other: Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 5 sts = 3".
- Finished Size: 23.5" by 17".
- Be mindful to keep your stitches loose throughout.
This is a two-row repeat:
- The first row begins and ends with a half double crochet.
- The next row begins and ends with a slip stitch.
- The half double crochets are worked into slip stitches, and the slip stitches are worked into half double crochets.
- With 12mm hk, Ch 40, or any multiple of 2.
- Row 1: Hdc in 2nd ch from hk, *sl st in next ch, hdc in next ch; rep from * across. Turn. [39 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, sl st in first hdc, *hdc in next sl st, sl st in next hdc; rep from * across. Turn. [39 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 1, hdc in first sl st, *sl st in next hdc, hdc in next sl st; rep from * across. Turn. [39 sts]
- Rows 4-29: Rep rows 2 & 3 until you have reached a desired width.
- Rnd 1: With 10mm hk, ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc in each corner. Fasten Off.