This small crochet table runner pattern is worked up with the puff stitch along with a bit of lace to make it pretty for the summer. Especially with the variegated yarn, it adds a nice touch of color.
This little mat is not only perfect for the table, but it can be used on shelves as well. It’s small, making it great for a small centerpiece on a coffee table of even on your nightstand.
It only measures 8.5 by 18 inches, but you can adjust this as needed. The stitch multiple is 3 plus 2 for the starting chains to increase your width. Then simply continue in the pattern until you have reached a desired length.
To make this you will need to know how to make the single crochet, half double crochet, puff stitch and chain spaces. If you’ve mastered the basic crochet stitches then you’ll be ready to learn this pattern.
One thing I love about this stitch pattern is that you can use both sides! The puff stitch looks about the same on both sides, and the half double crochet gives you a nice texture on the “wrong” side. I actually prefer that texture over the right side, but the choice is yours! Above the “right” side is shown, and below is the “wrong” side.
Another thing I should mention is that this stitch pattern slants the fabric. It’s no biggie, because you can easily block it out once your done. Simply wet the table runner down, lay it flat and allow it dry.
I used a variegated yarn to make it pretty for the summer. But the stitch pattern looks great in a solid color as well.
I chose Bernat Handicrafter Cotton, a #4 worsted weight yarn, but anything similar will work. If you’re planning on using this on your kitchen table I would recommend that you stick with cotton. Cotton is not only absorbent, but it’s also heat resistant.
But if you have a different need on a shelf somewhere then you could basically use any type of material that you like.
Other Patterns to Try
- Snowflake Table Runner
- Crochet Rectangle Placemat
- Simple Seeded Lace Crochet Placemat
- Seed Stitch Crochet Placemat Pattern
- Puff Stitch Dishcloth, Placemat and Coaster Set
Purchase Your Printable PDF
Summer Dreams Small Crochet Table Runner
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton Ombres (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 1.5 oz/42.5g; 68yds/62m) Color: Sunkissed Ombre, 3 balls
- Crochet Hook: I/5.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle, Area or Mat for Blocking.
- Gauge: 9 sts = 3".
- Finished Size: 8.5" by 18"
Special Stitch Instructions
- Puff Stitch (Puff st): [Yo, insert hk into st, yo and pull through] 3 times (7 loops on hk), yo and pull through all 7 loops.
- Ch 26, or any multiple of 3 + 2.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hk and into each ch across. Turn. [25 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1 (does not count as st, now and throughout pattern), (sc, puff st, ch 2) in first st, *sk next 2 sts, (sc, puff st, ch 2) in next st; rep from * across to last 3 sts, sk next 2 sts, sc in last st. Turn. [9 sc, 8 puff sts and 8 ch-2 sps]
- Row 3: Skipping all chs and puff sts, ch 1, (sc, ch 3) in first sc and into each sc across omitting the last ch-3. Turn. [8 ch-3 sps]
- Row 4: Ch 1, sk first st, 3 hdc in first ch-3 sp and into each ch-3 sp across, hdc in last sc. Turn. [25 hdc]
- Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first hdc and into each hdc across. Turn. [25 sc]
- Rows 6-45: Rep Rows 2-5.
- Row 46: Rep Row 2.
- Row 47: Ch 1, sc in first st, *sk next ch, sc into each of next: (ch, puff st, sc); rep from * across. [25 sts]
- Decide which side you want as the right side, then work the edging from the right side.
- Ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc in each corner. Join with slip stitch in first sc. Fasten Off.