The offset shell gives this quick crochet scarf pattern a pretty lace that’s perfect for women and girls. The size is easy to adjust as needed. Plus, the scarf works up quick and easy. I worked mine up in a day, but it all depends on how much time you have.
It’s an open stitch, making it perfect for fall and spring weather; but can be worn throughout the winter as well. You can wear it long around the neck or drape it casually over the shoulder. Another way is to tie it in a knot at the front.
Either way it’s perfect for wearing over a long-sleeved shirt when the weather isn’t too cold. And in the cold months you can wear it underneath a winter jacket. It’s perfect for keeping the cold drafts out without adding too much bulk.
Another bonus is that it’s a mindless pattern to help you relax after a long day’s work.
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch pattern is a double crochet shell, but it’s offset. So instead of working the shell into the middle of the previous shell, you work three double crochets, chain one and then another double crochet. Then the next shell is worked into the chain one of the previous shell.
It’s a simple stitch, yet pretty enough to go with any outfit!
The finished size is 8 inches by 70 inches. But in a multiple of 5 +2 for the starting chains, you can make this any size you want from child to adult.
I used Lion Brand Yarns – Pound of Love. It’s a medium weight #4, worsted weight acrylic yarn. It’s nice and bouncy, so it results in a nice stretchy fabric. Not that the stretch matters for the scarf, but it is a nice and comfortable fabric that you’ll enjoy wearing.
It’s a nice open lace, so if you like summer scarves, you could always choose a lightweight cotton for something during the hot weather.
I found the ends ruffled up a tad bit, so I blocked mine. I just wet mine down and laid it flat to dry. It’s acrylic, so you could also try steam blocking with an iron or garment steamer.
Other Patterns to Try
- Crunch Stitch Easy Crochet Winter Scarf
- Half Double and V-Stitch Easy Crochet Scarf
- Stashbuster Crochet Striped Scarf
- Seed Stitch One Skein Crochet Scarf
- Double Crochet and Cross Stitch Scarf
Purchase Your Printable PDF
Offset Shell Quick Crochet Scarf
- Yarn: Lion Brand Yarns – Pound Of Love (Medium, #4; 100% Premium Acrylic; 1020yds/932m; 16oz./454g) Color: Cherry, 1 ball.
- Crochet Hook: I/9-5.50MM
- Other: Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- 8" by 70"
Special Stitch Instructions
- Shell: (3 dc, ch 1, 1 dc) in designated ch or sp.
- Ch 32, or any multiple of 5 +2.
- Row 1: Dc in 5th ch from hook (skipped chs count as first dc), sk next 2 chs, shell in next ch, *sk next 4 chs, shell in next ch; rep from * across to last 4 chs, sk next 2 chs, dc in last 2 chs. Turn. [24 sts, OR 5 shells]
- Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in next st, shell in next ch-1 sp and into each ch-1 sp across, sk next 3 sts, dc in last 2 sts. Turn. [24 sts, OR 5 shells]
- Rows 3-99: Rep row 2.
- Rnds 1-2: Ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner. Join with slip stitch in first st. Fasten Off after Rnd 2.