Work this twisted cowl crochet pattern up in one or more colors. I chose two colors, but it’s versatile so you can easily choose as many as you like to clean up your yarn stash.
The pattern is given in two sizes, a short and a long cowl, that you can wear in several different ways. A stitch multiple is also provided so you can easily make this to a custom fit as well.
And because it’s so easy to adjust in size, you can easily substitute your favorite yarn and hook sizes and adjust your starting chains accordingly.
Twisted Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver (Worsted Weight (#4) 100% acrylic, 7 oz/198g – 364 yds/333m) – CA = Black – 1 Skein, CB = Red – 1 Skein.
- Crochet Hook: I 5.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle, Stitch Markers.
- Gauge: 10 sts = 3".
- Long Cowl: 10" wide by 30"long.
- Short Cowl: 9" wide by 12"long.
- Instructions are given for the small cowl, with special instructions for the large cowl in parenthesis.
- To change color, insert hook under first chain-1 space, pick up the new color and pull through. To keep a neat seam, work one half double crochet over the old color before you drop it.
- Change color after each round and carry it up instead of fastening off.
- Rnd 1: With CA ch 81, (201), or any multiple of 2 + 1. (Hdc, ch 1) in 2nd ch from hook, *sk next ch, (hdc, ch 1) in next ch; rep from * across to last ch, leaving last ch unworked. Mark bottom of first hdc made.
- Make half a twist in your work, sl st the last ch made to the bottom of first hdc made. Then with the tail end, join the other ch to the top of first hdc made. [40, (100) ch-1 sps]
- Rnd 2: With CB, sl st into first ch-1 sp; ch 1, (hdc, ch 1) in same sp and into each sp around; join with sl st in first hdc. [80, (200) ch-1 sp]
- Rnd 3: With CA, sl st into first ch-1 sp, ch 1, (hdc, ch 1) same sp and into each sp around; join with sl st in first hdc. [80, (200) ch-1 sp]
- Rnds 4-11, (13): Rep Rnds 2-3 until you have reached a desired length, ending with CA for the last Rnd. Do Not Fasten Off CA, continue with the next round.
- Rnd 12, (14): With CA, ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st and ch around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off. [160, (400) sts]