This easy crochet cowl pattern is mindless to crochet and stylish to wear. It has a nice color combo, which you can customize to match your outfit. It’s nice and long so you can wear it under or over your winter jacket.
Wear it long like a scarf or wrap it around for a cozy neck scarf. Either way you’re sure to get lots of use out this pattern during the cold weather.
It is a great pattern for making gifts, especially when you match it up with this Picot Friendly Women’s Hat Crochet Pattern.
How It’s Made
This easy pattern is worked in the round by making your chains to the circumference that you like. Then for the main stitch pattern, one round is worked with the single crochet and the picot stitch, followed by a round of double crochets and chain-1 spaces.
The Finished Size
The finished size is 52 inches in circumference by 6″ wide. However, the crochet cowl is easy to adjust, as the stitch pattern is only a multiple of two.
I used Red Heart Super Saver, which is a medium worsted weight yarn that works well with a 5.5 mm crochet hook size. Any similar yarn will work to give you a similar look. But, you could also try this in a DK or bulky yarn too if you like.
Other Patterns to Try
- Clustered V-Stitch Crochet Cowl Pattern
- Any Size Scrap Crochet Cowl Pattern
- Blossom Stitch Hooded Cowl Scarf Crochet Pattern
- Easy Stripes Crochet Snood Pattern
- Crochet Cowl Scarf Pattern
Picot Friendly – Easy Crochet Cowl Pattern
- Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver #4, in 2 colors
- Crochet Hook: I/9-5.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: Approximately 3.5" over 5 stitch repeats.
- Finished Size: Laying Flat it measures 26" long by 6" wide
Special Stitch Instructions
- Picot: Ch 3, sl st in 3rd ch from hook.
- Carry yarn up at each round. Or, for a clean seam, you can fasten off after new color is joined, or fasten off and begin next round with a standing crochet stitch.
- Standing Crochet Stitches
- With CA, Loosely Ch 150, or any multiple of 2; join with sl st in first ch being careful not to twist chs.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, and working into back bumps, sc in same ch as join and into each ch around; With CB, join with sl st in first sc. (150 sts)
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, (sc, picot) in same st as join, *sk next st, (sc, picot) in next st; rep from * around; With CA, join with sl st in first sc. (75 picots)
- Rnd 3: Ch 4 (counts as first dc and ch-1), (dc, ch 1) in next sc and into each sc around; With CB, join with sl st in first dc (3rd ch) (75 dc)
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, (sc, picot) in same st as join and into each dc st around; With CA, join with sl st in first sc.
- Rnds 5-13: Rep rnds 3-4 ending rnd 13 with rnd 3 and omitting the color change at last round.
- Rnd 14: Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st and ch around; join with sl st in first sc. (150 sts) Fasten Off.