This single crochet scarf pattern is beginner-friendly, and perfect for anyone who needs a simple, yet elegant, crochet scarf. It is perfect for both genders, and makes for a great gift idea during the winter months.
Shown in a solid color, this crochet scarf would also look very nice if you changed colors after every second or even the fourth row. That way you could easily turn this into a stashbuster to help you with your spring cleaning! To customize even further, add a fringe along each end using up even more scraps!
One great thing about crochet scarves is that you can wear them in many ways. You can wear them long, or wrap them over the shoulder if you like. They can be worn underneath a coat to help keep the cold drafts out, or over a long-sleeved shirt when the weather isn’t too cold!
Regardless of how you like to wear yours, this one will look great either way.
This easy scarf is worked up in short rows using only the single crochet stitch. But, the stitches are worked into the front loops only, which gives you a beautiful, yet simple, ribbed texture. If you are an absolute beginner, you can always go in under both loops if that makes it easier. Then work your way up to working into the front loops only and even do color changes.
Although the free crochet pattern provides instructions for an optional edging, I did not add one to my scarf. If you do add an edging you’ll need a second ball of yarn, or make it slightly shorter to give you enough yarn to go around the edge.
The finished size measures 7.5 inches by 60 inches. But, since there is no actual stitch pattern, it is super easy to adjust this to any size from child to adult large!
For this free crochet scarf pattern, I used Bernat Premium, which is a medium worsted weight yarn. However, any yarn and hook size will work.
Other Scarf Crochet Patterns to Try
Front Loop Single Crochet Scarf
- Yarn: Bernat Premium (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Acrylic; 7oz/198g; 360yds/329m) Color: Grape Soda, 1 ball without an edging. Two balls if want to work an edging.
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 16 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: Without an edging it measures 7.5" wide by 60" long.
Special Stitch Instructions
- The front loop single crochet is the same as a normal single crochet, except it is worked into the front loops only of the previous stitches.
- Ch 31,
- Row 1 (RS): Working into back bumps, sc in 2nd ch from hook and into each ch across. Turn. [30 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, flsc into first st and into each st across. Turn. [30 sts]
- Rows 3-200: Rep Row 2.
- Optional Edging: With RS facing, ch 1, flsc in first st, *flsc into next st and each st across to last st, work 3 flsc into last st; turn to work along the side and sc evenly across to the next corner*; work 3 flsc in corner; rep from * to *; work another flsc into the same st as the first flsc, join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off.