This alternating striped Christmas afghan pattern is easy to adjust in size, thus making it great for decorating and keeping cozy in any room this holiday season. Christmas colors weren’t my first choice, but since I had lots of them, I figured why not? And I actually don’t mind how this afghan turned out, although fall colors would have been awesome!
But what I like most about this afghan is that there are no ends to weave in except where you start and finish your skeins of yarn. It’s crocheted in three colored stripes, which means you have your working yarn and two loose ends; one at each side of the blanket. That way when you finish a row, the new color that you need is conveniently awaiting you at the end. It’s almost like magic.
So choose any three colors that you like and go to town with this afghan. Crochet it to any width by chaining any uneven number, and then continue in as many rows as you like. Just remember you might need more or less yarn if you make it bigger or smaller.
Other Patterns to Try
- Fan Stitch Baby Blanket
- Easy Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Crochet Striped Blanket
- Fall Striped Afghan Crochet Pattern
- Super Bulky Easy Crochet Lapghan
- Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver (3 colors – Two 7oz skeins of CA and CB, and three 7oz skeins of CC, which is used for edging.)
- Crochet Hook: I/9-5.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 10 sts = 3"
- Finished size: 45.5" wide by 63.5" long.
- See tutorial alternating between the front and back loops.
- Join new color at yarn over for last slip stitch in row.
- Carry yarn up along the edges. Use the turning chain to secure the dropped color along the edge.
- See the Blanket Sizes Chart if you want to make adjustments to the size.
- With CA and I hook, Loosely Ch 151, or any uneven number.
- Row 1: Hdc in 2nd ch from hook, sl st in next ch, *hdc in next ch, sl st in next ch; rep from * across changing color at yarn over for last sl st. (150 sts) Ch 1, Turn.
- Row 2: With CB, *flhdc in first st, blslst in next st; rep from * across changing color at yarn over for last sl st. (150 sts) Ch 1, Turn.
- Row 3: With CC, rep row 2.
- Row 4: With CA rep row 2.
- Rows 5-192: Rep rows 2-4 until you have reached a desired length.
- Rnds 1-3: With H hook, Ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc in each corner; join with sl st in first sc. Use any color you like, but I chose CC.