This is a free crochet pattern for a small puffy seed stitch purse. The seed stitch is made using the single and double crochet stitches. Both stitches are easy to make and suitable for a beginner, however, the puff stitch is more suitable for someone at the intermediate crochet level.
The strap is worked in a continuous round in order to add more strength to it. But if you wanted to, you could work it in rows with 5 stitches and then line it with a strong material once the purse is finished.
Seeds and Puffs – Crochet Purse
- Yarn: Patons Canadiana
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00MM
- Notions: 2 metal purse rings.
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 2.5" over 9 sts and the across the first 4 rnds.
- Finished Size: When laying flat, it measures about 8.5" high by 10.5" wide.
- RS = Right Side
- WS = Wrong Side
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Dc = Double Crochet
- Fl = Front Loops
- FO = Fasten Off
- Hdc = Half Double Crochet
- Hk = Hook
- Lp/Lps = Loops/Loops
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd/Rnds = Round/Rounds
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sk = Skip
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- Sp/Sps = Space/Spaces
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- YO = Yarn Over
- Crochet Abbreviations and Terms are in American.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Puff St: (Yo, insert hk in sp indicated, yo and pull through) 4 times, 9 lps on hook. Yo and pull through all 9 lps.
- Rnd 1: Ch 28, sk first ch, sc in next 26 chs, 3 sc in last ch. Working on opposite side, sc in free lps of next 25 chs, 2 sc in last ch. Join with sl st. (56 sts)
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, 3 hdc in first st, *hdc in next 25 sts, 3 hdc in next st, hdc in next st*, 3 hdc in next st. Rep from * to * once. Join with sl st. (64 sts)
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in first st, *3 sc in next st, sc in next 27 sts, 3 sc in next st*, sc in next 3 sts. Rep from * to * once, then sc in last 2 sts. Join with sl st. (72 sts)
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, hdc in first 2 sts, *3 hdc in next st, hdc in next 29 sts, 3 hdc in next st*, hdc in next 5 sts. Rep from * to * once, then hdc in next 3 sts. Join with sl st. (80 sts)
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, (sc, dc) in first st, [sk next st, (sc, dc) in next st] around to last st, sk last st. Join with sl st. (80 sts)
- Rnd 6: Sl st into next st, ch 1, (sc, dc) in same st, [sk next st, (sc, dc) in next st] around. Join with sl st. (80 sts)
- Rnd 7: Sl st into next st, ch 1, (sc, ch 1) in same st, [sk next st, (sc, ch 1) in next st] around. Join with sl st. (40 ch-1 sps)
- Rnds 8: Sl st into ch-1 sp, ch 1, (work puff st, ch 1) in same sp and in each sp around. Join with sl st. (40 puff sts)
- Rnd 9: Ch 1, (sc, ch 1) in first st, sk ch-1 sp, [(sc, ch-1) in next st, sk next ch-1 sp] around. Join with sl st. (40 ch-1 sps)
- Rnd 10: Ch 1, (sc, dc) in first st, [sk next ch-1 sp, (sc, dc) in next st] around, sk last ch-1 sp. Join with sl st. (80 sts)
- Rnds 11-26: Rep rnds 7-10.
- Rnd 27: Sl st into next st, ch 1, (sc, dc) in same st, sk next st, sc in next st, [sk next st, (sc, dc) in next st, sk next st, sc in next st] around. Join with sl st to first sc. (60 sts)
- Rnd 28: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Join with sl st. (60 sts) FO.
- Work 5 sc into one ring. Turn.
- Rnd 1: (Mark as RS) Ch 1, working in fl only, sc in first st and in each st across. (5 sts) Turn. Working on opposite side, sc in each free lp of same row. (10 sts) Do not join.
- Following Rnds: Working in both lps, continue to sc in a continuous round until the handle is long enough.
- You can remove the twist of the handle by blocking it between a damp towel. After blocking, make sure that the last st falls along the edge of the strap. You might have to undo or do a couple more stitches in order for it to line up.
- Closing Stitches: (RS) Turn work so the right side is facing. Then working through both front and back sts, sc across. (5 sts). Turn.
- The last 5 sts close the handle, which is now ready to be joined to the second ring. Do Not FO.
- Joining Row: (WS) Ch 1, working in both lps and into metal ring sc in first st and in each st across. (5 sts). FO.
Attaching Handle to Purse:
- With RS facing, work 5 sc stitches into first ring. Do not FO.
- Lay the purse flat and find the 5 sts along the fold on one side.
- With right sides of purse and handle facing each other, ch 1, join the sts in the ring with sl sts to the 5 sts on side fold. FO. Rep on the other side being careful not to twist the handle.