This is an easy cotton dishcloth pattern. I worked this without an edging, but I found a way to obtain a straighter edge, so it’s up to you whether or not you want to add one.
My secret to the straighter edge is to increase at the beginning of the row and then to decrease at the end of the row. I found that not only does this give you a straighter edge, but it also helps to reduce the gap that you sometimes get. I love this technique, but let me know in the comments below what your thoughts are.
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Eyelet Rows Cotton Dishcloth Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 1.75 oz/50g; 80yds/73m) 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: I 5.50mm
- Other: Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- 7.25" by 7.25".
Special Stitch Instructions
- Dc2tog: Yo and insert hk into the first st, yo and pull up a lp, yo and pull through 2 lps on hk (2 lps left). Yo and insert hk into the next st, yo and pull up a lp, yo and pull through 2 lps (3 lps left on hk). Yo and pull through all 3 lps on hk.
- Hdc2tog: Yo and insert hk into the first st, yo and pull up a lp; yo and insert hk into the next st, yo and pull up a lp (5 lps on hk); yo and pull through all 5 lps on hk.
- The chains made at the beginning of each row count as your first stitch made. Another stitch is worked into the first stitch for a total of 2 stitches made in the first stitch.
- Then at the end of the row, a decrease is made over the last 2 stitches to maintain the stitch count. This helps to keep the edges straighter.
- Loosely ch 24, or any multiple of 2.
- Row 1: Working into back bumps, dc in 4th ch from hk and into each ch across. (Skipped chs count as first st.) Turn. [22 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 2 (counts as first hdc), (hdc, ch 1) in first st, *sk next st, (hdc, ch 1) in next st; repeat from * across to the last 3 sts, sk next st, hdc2tog over the last 2 sts. Turn. [10 ch-1 sps]
- Row 3: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in first st and in each st and ch across to last 2 sts; dc2tog over last 2 sts. Turn. [22 sts]
- Rows 4-13: Repeat rows 2 and 3. Fasten Off at last row.