This pretty crochet lace square is very easy to make. It has a nice open lace stitch in the middle, which makes this ideal for making summer bags, pillows and blankets. The floral lace is surrounded by a solid border to bring it all together.
Work it up in a single color as shown or add a few rounds of contrast or matching colors to bring it to life. It makes for a lovely stashbuster that way!
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch pattern is very simple with a few puff stitches in the middle for the resemblance of a small flower. Then some basic lace in the middle followed with a solid border, making it easy for you to join your squares with others.
Although the puff stitch is very easy to make, you should be familiar and comfortable with making the basic crochet stitches.
I used Patons Canadianna, a medium worsted weight #4 yarn. It’s a soft and shiny acrylic yarn; and is slightly on the thinner side than many other yarns at that weight.
You can use any other medium #4, but you might need to up your hook size a bit. I went down a hook size than what is recommended on the yarn label. It works well with this yarn, but might not work with other yarns.
Also, the size will come out a bit larger than this one if you decide to go with a heavier yarn.
Red Heart Super Saver is a good alternative to use.
Joining Your Squares
There are many ways that you can join your finished crochet squares. One of the easiest ways to join your squares is to use single crochets and simple single crochet them together.
Another awesome seaming method is the mattress stitch, which is a secure, and almost invisible join.
Personally I think a solid join would work best for this square, but you might also want to consider the flat-braid join, which would then further add to the lace of this square.
Other Patterns to Try
- 6.5″ Crochet Afghan Square
- 3.75-Inch Raised Center Easy Crochet Afghan Square
- 3.5 Inch Popcorn Crochet Flower Afghan Square
- 3 Inch Chain Stitch Crochet Afghan Square
- 6″ Simple Crochet Square for a Blanket or Other Projects
Purchase Your PDF Copy
5.25″ Crochet Lace Square Pattern
- Yarn: Patons Canadiana (Worsted Weight; #4; 100% Acrylic; 100g/3.5oz; 187m / 205yds)
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle, Area or Mat for Blocking, Pins for Blocking.
- Gauge: 2 1/4" across first 3 rnds.
- Finished Size: 5.25" by 5.25"
Special Stitch Instructions
- Puff Stitch (puff st): (Yo, insert hk in sp indicated, yo and pull through) 3 times, 7 lps on hk. Yo and pull through all 7 lps, ch 1 to secure.
- Rnd 1: Make a magic ring, ch 1, work 8 sc into ring; pull tight and join with sl st in first sc. [8 sts]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, (hdc, ch 1) in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first hdc. [8 ch-1 sps]
- Note: In the next Rnd, make your puff st with the ch-1 to secure, then ch another 3 for a total of 4 chs.
- Rnd 3: Sl st into ch-1 sp, ch 1, (puff st, ch 3) in same sp and into each ch-1 sp around; join with sl st in first puff st. [8 puff sts and 8 lps]
- Rnd 4: Sl st into lp, ch 1, (sc, ch 5) in same lp and into each lp around to last lp, sc in last lp, ch 2, dc into first sc to join and form last ch-5 lp. [8 ch-5 lps]
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, (sc, ch 7) in first lp, *(sc, ch 4) in next lp, (sc, ch 7) in next lp; rep from * around to last lp; (sc, ch 4) in last lp; join with sl st in first sc. [4 ch-7 lps and 4 ch-4 lps]
- Rnd 6: Sl st into ch-7 lp, ch 3 (counts as first dc), work another 12 dc into same lp, *5 dc into next lp, 13 dc into next lp; rep from * around to last lp; 5 dc into last lp; join with sl st in first dc (top of first ch-3). [72 sts]
- Rnd 7: Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into next 5 sts, *3 sc in next st, sc in next 17 sts; rep from * around to the last corner, 3 sc in last corner, sc in last 11 sts. Fasten Off. [80 sts]