Keep your ears nice and cozy with this crochet ear warmer pattern. You have a bit of lace and a bit of textures to make this a nice fit for just about any outfit.
Wear it alone in cooler weather, but in extreme temperatures, it makes for the perfect accessory for under a winter hood.
The instructions are given for an ear warmer that measures a circumference of about 21 inches. To make the circumference smaller simply decrease the beginning chains in multiples of 10. You can use this ear warmer size chart as a guideline for an ear warmer.
You can also make a stylish cowl simply by adjusting your chains and number of rounds.
The yarn used is 1 ball of Paton’s Canadiana, but you can easily substitute other yarns. Red Heart Soft, Vanna’a Choice and other soft yarns that give a good stretch are a few good examples.
You don’t need much yarn, which makes this an ideal stashbuster pattern during the colder months.
The stitch pattern is simply the popcorn and split shells to give you loads of fun textures. It is a very simple and mindless pattern for those who have mastered the basics.
Popcorn and Split Shell Crochet Ear Warmer or Cowl
- Yarn: Patons Canadiana (Worsted Weight; #4; 100% Acrylic; 100g/3.5oz; 187m / 205yds) – 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 15 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: Approximately 21" in circumference by 3.5" wide.
Special Stitch Instructions
- PC: Work 5 dc in st indicated. Drop loop from hook and insert hook into first of the 5 dc made. Pick up the dropped loop and pull through.
- Shell: (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in st indicated.
- Ch 80 or any multiple of 10; join with sl st in first ch being careful not to twist chs.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, working into back bumps, sc in same ch as join and into each ch around; join with sl st in first sc. [80 sts]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first sc. [80 sts]
- Rnd 3: Ch 2 (does not count as st, now and throughout), dc in same st as join, *ch 1, sk next st, pc in next st, ch 1, sk next st, dc in next st, sk next 2 sts, shell in next st, sk next 2 sts**, dc in next st; rep from * around ending last repeat at **; join with sl st in first dc. [8 shells and 8 popcorns]
- Rnd 4: Ch 2, dc in same st as join, *ch 1, pc in next pc, ch 1, dc in next dc, sk first 2 dc of shell, shell in sp of next shell, sk last 2 dc of shell**, dc in next dc, rep from * around ending last repeat at **; join with sl st in first dc. [8 shells and 8 popcorns]
- Rnds 5-7: Rep Rnd 4 until you have the size you need.
- Rnd 8: Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st and ch around; join with sl st in first sc. [80 sts]
- Rnd 9: Rep Rnd 2. Fasten off.