This rectangular shawl crochet pattern is given in one size, but can be adjusted as needed in the stitch multiple provided. It features an open stitch pattern and is worked in cotton, making it perfect for the summer and other seasons.
The shawl is worked lengthwise in rows until you reach a desired width. If you’re working this in cotton, I highly recommend that you block it to open up the lace.
This, in my opinion is an over-sized shawl, which means there are many ways to wear it! And you know what that means – it’s great for gifting! Because you know the recipient will have many opportunities to wear it year round. And every time they wear it, they will think of you. :)
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch pattern is very straightforward with an open row of half double crochets and chain one spaces. The next row is worked in the seed stitch; which is simply a single and a double crochet worked into one stitch followed by skipping a stitch to maintain the stitch count.
The shawl is finished with two rounds of a straight single crochet border.
The pattern is given in one size for a large. But the starting chains are a simple multiple of two, making it super easy to adjust the length to any size you want.
For this crochet shawl, I decided to use a textured cotton yarn called Nurture, by Euro Baby. I got mine from YarnCandyBargains on Facebook. I love this yarn, because as you may or may not know, I love all things textured! And this yarn seemed to go well with this stitch pattern.
The yarn is a 100% cotton yarn. It is soft and perfect for summer projects. It is labeled as a DK (#3), but because of its textures, I find it to be on the thicker side. That’s why I chose a larger hook than what’s recommended to allow for a beautiful drape of the finished shawl.
With that said, feel free to choose your favorite yarn, whether it be cotton or acrylic. And yarn weight doesn’t really matter either because it’s so easy to adjust this. Just make sure to match your hook to the yarn recommendations.
Other Patterns to Try
- Crochet Asymmetrical Shawl
- Open Stitch Easy Rectangular Crochet Shawl Pattern
- Bead and Lace Shawl
- Slanted Cluster Elegant Crochet Wrap Pattern
- Simple Lace Crochet Summer Wrap Pattern
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Simple Seeded Lace – Rectangular Shawl Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Nurture by Euro Baby (100% Cotton Yarn (DK #3) 3.52oz/100g – 219yds/200m – 5 skeins
- Crochet Hook: H 5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle, Area or Mat for Blocking, Pins for Blocking.
- Gauge: 14 sts = 4" and 12 rows = 5".
- Finished Size: 19" wide by 70" long.
- Ch 240, or any multiple of 2.
- Row 1: (Hdc, ch 1) in 2nd ch from hook, *sk next ch, (hdc, ch 1) in next ch; rep from * across. Note: Last ch-1 made counts as turning ch, now and throughout. Turn. [120 sts and 119 ch-1 sps]
- Row 2: (Sc, dc) in first hdc, *sk ch-1, (sc, dc) in next hdc; rep from * across to last hdc; (sc, ch 1) in last hdc. Turn. [239 sts]
- Row 3: (Hdc, ch 1) in first sc, *sk dc, (hdc, ch 1) in next sc; rep from * across. Turn. [120sts and 119 ch-1 sps]
- Rows 4-45: Rep rows 2 and 3.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, sc in first st, *sc into next ch and into each st and ch across to last st, 3 sc in last st. Turn and working along the side, work 67 sc across to next corner*; 3 sc in next corner; rep from * to * once; work another 2 sc into the same st as where the first st was made in the round; join with sl st in first sc. [620 sts]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in each st around, working 3 sc in each corner; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off.