This crochet dishcloth pattern is worked up in the slanted cluster stitch, also known as the bead stitch. It’s a lovely textured stitch worked in between a few rows of plain stitches, which makes it great for a dishcloth.
A stitch multiple is provided so you can easily adjust the size of this as you need to. Make a small coaster or a placemat to match. Another option would be for a table runner. Or, if you line the back of it you could also use this as a hot pad.
The slanted cluster stitch tends to slant the fabric a bit, but you can block it out. It’s a beautiful stitch, which makes it totally worth the extra efforts.
I’ve also included a short video tutorial below the written pattern showing how to work the slanted cluster.
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 1.75 oz/50g; 80yds/73m) Color: Hot Orange, 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: I 5.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 11 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 7.25" by 7.25"
Special Stitch Instructions
- Slanted Cluster (sl cl): [Yo, going in from right to left insert hk around base of last dc made, yo and pull through] 3 times. (7 lps on hk), yo and pull through 6 lps, (2 lps left), yo and pull through the last 2 lps.
- One extra stitch is made in the rows with the slanted clusters. To keep things even, I worked a decrease stitch at the end of the next row over the last double crochet and the top of the third chain.
- This pattern slants a bit, but it can be blocked out.
- Row 1: Loosely ch 20 (or any multiple of 2), sc in 2nd ch from hk and into each ch across. Turn. [19 sts]
- Row 2 (RS): Ch 2 (does not count as st), dc in first st and into each st across. Turn. [19 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first st and into each st across. Turn. [19 sts]
- Row 4: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in next st, sl cl, *sk next st, dc in next st, sl cl; rep from * across to last st, dc in last st. Turn. [9 sl cl sts]
- Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first st and into each st across to last 2 sts, sc2tog over last 2 sts (dc and top of ch-3). Turn. [19 sts]
- Rows 6-15: Rep Rows 2-5 ending with row 3 at last repeat.
- Rnd 1: With RS facing, ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner; join with a slip stitch in first sc. Fasten Off.