The picot petals crochet hair scrunchie is the perfect summer accessory to go with just about any summery outfit. It’ll be perfect for anyone wanting to keep their hair back.
Although nice and full, this DIY scrunchie is worked in a light yarn so it won’t add additional weight to the ponytail. So you can be sure that any gifts you make with this pattern will be appreciated.
The crochet scrunchie is worked around a 6″ circumference hair elastic, but it can be adjusted for other sizes. There is no required number of loops needed for the final round, so simply work as many stitches around the elastic to give it a nice full look.
So whether you need a big scrunchie for thick hair, or something small for cute scrunchie hairstyles, this DIY hair scrunchie can easily be customized to fit everyone’s style.
I used Cotton Fair by Premier Yarns. It’s a fine #2 yarn with a blend of cotton and acrylic. In my opinion, it’s the perfect yarn for a lovely summer hair scrunchie.
How to Make a Scrunchie
To make a scrunchie, simply crochet around a hair elastic until it is nice and full. For this pattern you don’t need to worry about a stitch count, so any number will work, so long it is full.
Then single crochets and chain-2 loops are worked for the second round. For the third round, single crochets and ch-3 loops give the scrunchie a nice flare.
Lastly, each loop is filled with a picot petal, which is worked with stitches from short to tall, a picot, and then tall to short for a leaf-like design.
Picot Petals Crochet Hair Scrunchie
- Yarn: Cotton Fair by Premier Yarns (Fine, #2; 52% Cotton, 48% Acrylic; 317yds/290m; 3.5oz./100g) 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: E 3.50mm
- Other: 1 Goody Hair elastic
- Tools: Scissors, Yarn Needle.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Picot: Ch 3, sl st into 3rd ch from hook.
- Rnd 1: Join yarn to elastic with a stsc, sc around the elastic another 59 times; join with sl st in first sc. [60 sc]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, (sc, ch 2) in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first sc. [60 ch-2 sps]
- Rnd 3: Sl st into first sp, ch 1, (sc, ch 3) into same sp and into each sp around; join with sl st in first sc. [60 ch-3 sps]
- Rnd 4: Sl st into first sp, ch 1, (sc, hdc, dc, picot, dc, hdc, sc) into same sp and into each sp around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off. [60 picot petals]